First up is this video I found on President's Day and wanted to post it, but got distracted. I guess I have a soft spot for guys named Jaden. ;)
How cute is that!
On to the tutorial! A Bible cover.
I bought some fabric the other day with the intention of making a pillow for my bed. It's a beautiful green pattern. Well, the days passed and I never got around to digging out my sewing machine. Mostly because DH has commandeered the kitchen/dining room/everything table for his paperwork. It's only fair. I usually have it piled high with my crafts. :)
Just before falling asleep an idea hit me. It hurt. :)
I decided to make a bible cover with the pretty green fabric. Partly because I love the pattern and want to carry it around and partly because hubby tends to lay his head on any pillow that is placed on the bed and I'd like to preserve it.
So as I was falling asleep I devised a plan of attack. My solution: wrap it just like I would a text book in high school.
FYI: because the table is covered in paperwork, I was relegated to the floor. Hence the ugly background in the pics. (welcome to apartment living)
I had all the supplies: fabric, interfacing (for sturdiness), scissors, and an iron. And glue--picture later.
I placed my bible on the fabric and cut it out with an inch and a half excess on all sides. Then placed the fabric on the interfacing and cut out the same size.
I then ironed the two pieces together with the rough side of the interfacing joined to the wrong side of the fabric. Instructions come with interfacing when you purchase it from any fabric store.
You need a damp rag over the interfacing when you iron the two together, other wise you will burn it.
Place your bible in the center of the fabric. Fold the long edges inward until the whole piece is the width of the bible (the pic explains it better). Iron down the sides when you have them exact.
Open up your bible cover and fold over the short edges into the cover. This will mark where to iron next.
Slide the edges of your cover into the small pockets you have just created. (forgot to take a picture!)
You will now have a cover on your bible!
BUT we're not finished. In order for the cover to stay put and to keep this project "no-sew", I glued the pocket corners to the back of the green fabric. Aleene's Tacky Glue works best for this. It doesn't bleed through like hot glue would and it's excellent for fabric.
I decided to embellish it with a amazing flower that I made earlier in the week.
I got the idea from this blog Trey and Lucy.
I just glued it on the back. You could take the fabric cover off and stitch the flower on, but we're keeping it "no-sew"!
I thoroughly enjoy the finished project! It pretty much cost me nothing because I bought the fabric for another project but scrapped that idea for the time being. I had everything else on hand.
Another thing of note: Jaden (my hubby, not the kid in the video) won Teacher of the Year for his school district!! Super happy and proud of him. :) It's such a blessing from God.
This is currently my favorites spot in our apartment. It's so pretty.
I love those flowers. They almost beckon spring even though it's still in the 30s outside.
I made them myself (with the help of Aunt Peaches!)and it's currently one of my favorite pastimes while watching movies and tv. Half were made while watching Arrested Development and the other half were made while watching one of my favorite movies: Rocky.
I'm linking with these parties!
Coming up next:
Top ten list of my favorite movies!